Saturday, June 7, 2008

My New Adventure Begins!

I am writing this blog to record my thoughts as I travel and volunteer in Cambodia.

I would like to begin by thanking everyone who has supported me spiritually, mentally and of course financially to start this journey post graduation. Without your support this new adventure would not have occured.

On the plane ride over I was consumed by how much time can change things. 5 years ago I never would have thought a trip like this would be possible. Yet arriving in Cambodia, it feels like the right thing to do with my life in this moment.

I was welcomed to Cambodia with a tiny bouquet of orchids (thanks to Thai airlines) and the warm smell of humidity permeating the air conditioning of the tiny airport in Phnom Penh. Everyone beyond the baggage claim area was speaking Khemai (the local language). I didn’t understand a word of what was being uttered around me.

We were picked up by our security guard from the NGO we are staying at called Bridges across Borders. (Yes, we have a full time security guard that stays with us around the clock.) I breathed a great sigh of relief when he spoke to us in English. It is funny how a common language can bring such comfort. I settled into my seat and prepared to absorb my new environment.

As we were traveling to our destination the number of street children out at 9 PM was the first thing that struck me. They were weaving in and out of cars as they disappeared into the night. Groups of men were huddled by food carts and bars or just generally loitering around random corners.

We arrived at our accommodations completely exhausted from our 19 hour flight. We quickly found our two bedrooms for six volunteers and a separate bathroom in each room. We have wireless internet access as the unstable electricity permits. Also an air conditioner and a fan (thank god!). The word hot to describe the weather is an understatement. It is like constantly being wrapped by a warm blanket that cannot be removed. I love it, I can wear flip flops and cotton clothes every day!! I am a warm weather baby, so I am in my element.

My living situation is a lot more comfortable then I imagined. I was bracing myself for minimal accommodations and comfort. Yet, I find the exact opposite to be true.

2 comments:

Deion said...

Yay, and so it begins :-)

Heddy said...

not that i dont have the benefit of hearing your insightful and unique perspective on a daily basis... but im going to encourage you to write more and cross-post onto the OW blog so that you can enrich everyone else's lives like you have mine and everyone else that you have met! xo